18 October 2009

Track laying #1

The past couple of weeks have seen slow progress as I get to grips with the skills needed for track laying. I had naively thought it would be an easy task. I have started on the storage sidings with the intention of doing all the under-cover stuff first before putting the lid on.

Because the layout has so many section breaks it's important to keep everything as level as possible. My first attempt has not been altogether successful:















It isn't too bad, in the sense that it doesn't derail trains (although in this shot one might think it would), but (in the language of another universe) it doesn't pass my own QC check for smooth running. So I'll be working to improve my technique over the next few weeks.

In the course of the track laying I am also installing the PL-10 point motors under the trackbed. All the points in the shot below have holes cut, and motors attached!















I have managed to get power into the track and run a train up and down the short section that's been fixed so far. It's all a bit cobbled-together (as the photo below shows) but so far, it works well enough.















The relict Hornby R900 (still in good condition though!) was donated by my brother-in-law and serves a useful function as a 15V AC power source to drive the point motors. The Select DCC controller has no such output. When I build the control panel I may install a custom power source but this will do for now.

2 comments:

Rio Grande UK said...

Hi, Martin. Coming along nicely. Don't think I'm being funny, as I'm sure you've thought of it, but plastic rail joiners would solve your alignment problems at your section breaks. Made by Peco. I'm still waiting for HOn3 track to finish my narrow gauge which, I should add, has been completely redesigned at one end in order to resemble Cumbres on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. A good railway is never finished!

Martin said...

Thanks ol' buddy! Yes I wondered about rail joiners and agree they would be a good solution... but I have designed my sections to lift vertically out of the frame. I can't see a way of putting joiners in: they assume you can slide the sections together horizontally. Maybe I need to think again (about this and so many things). Onward and (ever so slightly) upward!